Topics in Systems
I am trying to maintain few interesting topics in systems
Reading List on Scalability
Scalability is one of the most important yet illusive entities in distributed computing. I am maintaining a
Reading List on Scalability. If I have miss any intersting stuff, please drop me a mail.
Communication Models in distributed Systems
Characterstics of a distibuted systems are highly depended on communication model(s)
the system uses. Following are diffrent communication models and autoriative papers under each topic.
- Publish Subscribe Systems
- Eugster, P. T., Felber, P. A., Guerraoui, R., and Kermarrec, A. 2003. The many faces of publish/subscribe. ACM Comput. Surv. 35, 2 (Jun. 2003), 114-131. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/857076.857078
- Terpstra, W. W., Behnel, S., Fiege, L., Zeidler, A., and Buchmann, A. P. 2003. A peer-to-peer approach to content-based publish/subscribe. In Proceedings of the 2nd international Workshop on Distributed Event-Based Systems (San Diego, California, June 08 - 08, 2003). DEBS '03. ACM, New York, NY, 1-8. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/966618.966627
- Streaming XML with Jabber/XMPP. Saint-Andre, P. 2005. IEEE Internet Computing 9, 5 (Sep. 2005), 82-89.
Implementations Narada Broker,
- A survey and comparison of peer-to-peer overlay network schemes, K Lua, J Crowcroft, M Pias, R Sharma, S Lim - Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE, 2005 - ieeexplore.ieee.org
- Looking Up Data in P2P Systems, Hari Balakrishnan, M. F. Kaashoek, David Karger, Robert Morris, Ion Stoica
- Distributed Systems, Concepts and Design, 2nd Ed. by G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore, T. Kindberg and Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms: Books: Andrew S. Tanenbaum,Maarten van Steen both has chapters on P2P systems.
Implementations FreePastry, Chord, Chimera
Epidamic Communication Models (Gossip)
- Epidemic information dissemination in distributed systems Eugster, P T; Guerraoui, R; Kermarrec, A-M; Massoulie, L Computer. Vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 60-67. May 2004
Distibuted Message Qeues and ESB
- Scribe: a large-scale and decentralized application-level multicast infrastructure Castro, M. Druschel, P. Kermarrec, A.-M. Rowstron, A.I.T. Microsoft Res. Ltd., Cambridge; IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Oct 2002 Volume: 20, Issue: 8 On page(s): 1489- 1499
- Efficient Broadcast in Structured P2P Networks, Sameh El-Ansary, Luc Onana Alima, Per Brand, Seif Haridi, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Peer-to-Peer Systems I, page 304-314, 2003
- IP Mulicast, Cisco Documentation
Interesting Distibuted System Papers
- MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat, OSDI'04: Sixth Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation,
San Francisco, CA, December, 2004.
- The Google File System, Sanjay Ghemawat, Howard Gobioff, Shun-Tak Leung, Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, 2003, pp. 20-43.